Thursday, July 14, 2011

A little repurposing project


I am taking a chance posting this, but I doubt that either my 3-year-old or 5-year old granddaughter looks at my Christmas blog very often.

This is just a whimsical little repurposing project which I am making for them as a small Christmas gift. I had embroidered some pillowcases for gifts last year, and the Walmart brand of cases came in a little fabric pouch with a snap closure. I imagine they are trying to "go green" by eliminating paper and heavy plastic from their packaging. I kept looking at those two pouches and thinking that there must be a way to re-use them.

I finally came up with the idea of making tiny purses from them. I edged the front flap with some trim I had on hand and added a coordinating ribbon (which was the only thing I had to buy for this project!) for a handle/strap.

I stenciled an initial on each one but was not happy with the way the edges of the stencil came out -- too blurry. I think the pouch was just not smooth enough to use the technique of freezer-paper stenciling on. I couldn't think how to fix the problem until it came to me that I could simply embroider a chain stitch around the edges of the initial. Presto! Problem solved! I love it when the Lord shows me a creative solution.

On the back of the purse, I appliqued an adorable felt cupcake design.

I'm planning to put a few small things inside -- perhaps a little notebook and pen, a lip balm, and a coin purse with a few quarters in it. I'm thinking of trying to make a felt coin purse in a cupcake design to coordinate with the purse.

I love repurposing things, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!